Club Dinner - last Friday evening 100 members and guests filled the Eastgate Clubrooms for the Peebles RFC Annual Dinner under the chairmanship of Richard Johnston. After grace from Njord MacIver, an excellent meal was served up by Carol and her kitchen team. The diners then settled down to be entertained by the night’s speakers, led off by Al Stewart of Biggar RFC who toasted the club; a pawky reply was given by vice-captain David Wills; the game of rugby football was toasted in a highly amusing speech by Andrew Kerr of Melrose RFC.
There then followed the presentation of awards as follows -
- 1st XV Player of the Year – Neil Hogarth
- 1st XV Players Player of the Year – Neil Hogarth
- Reds Player of the Year – Graham Hogarth who also received the East Reserve League 2 Salver on behalf of the team.
- Reds Players Player of the Year – Euan Jackson.
- 7s Player of the Year – Donald Anderson.
- President’s Trophy for Service to the Club – Jim King.
- Felicity Barker Memorial Quaich for a Young Player – Stuart Hunter.
- Top Try Scorer of the Season – Scott Stoddart.
The final speech was then delivered with aplomb by retired vet Nigel Brown in his own inimitable style.
The formal part of the evening was wound up by Mark Smith who delivered the vote of thanks including a special mention to Jim Currie who had organised the evening and all of the staff.
Peebles RFC 1sts Sevens Squad – Tomorrow a sevens squad travel the road down to Riverside Park for the Jedforest sevens, the final tournament in this season’s Kings of the Sevens Series. Peebles are drawn with Hamilton in the second tie of the first round. First tie kicks off at 1:30pm.
Last Saturday the Peebles Sevens Squad travelled down to Philiphaugh for the Selkirk Sevens – drawn in the first round with Melrose – Peebles lost heavily by 40 – 0.
Peebles Reds – Last Saturday a Peebles Reds squad travelled up to North Inch in Perth to take part in the Perthshire RFC sevens – unfortunately not making it out of their pool after losing to Montrose and Glasgow Hawks, the eventual winners, but beating Perth Mavericks.
OAPees – On the evening of Friday 15th May the OAPees are in action up at Hawthornden when they take on their Lasswade Vets counterparts – kick off is at 7:30pm - for what should be a humdinger of a game if the previous meeting of the sides at Hay Lodge is any measure.
Charity Quiz Night – On Friday 24th May the Eastgate Clubrooms is the venue for a Charity Quiz Night in aid of Help for Heroes – £10 per team of 4 or £15 per team of 6 - fun starts at 7:00pm.
AGM - Members are asked to note that the Club AGM will be held on Friday 14th June at 19:00 in the Clubrooms, 19 Eastgate, Peebles.
Key Dates for the AGM are:-
Updated 12:22 - 22 May 2019 by BEN GLASGOW
- A copy of last year’s minutes will be available from behind the bar as from Friday 3rd May and a file will be uploaded onto the Club web site.
- Any amendments and additions to be notified to Secretary by close of business Wednesday 15th May 2019
- Nominations for any offices to be received by Secretary close of business Friday 24th May 2019
- AGM - Friday 14th June 2019 at 19:00